You just bought a new cabinet and want to install it somewhere in your house. However, you discover you don’t have studs. Now demolishing walls to install new studs is time-consuming and costly, you don’t want that. So how to install the cabinet without studs?
Prepare the wall for the cabinet installation without studs
To install the cabinet as you like, first, you need to find the appropriate wall location. Make sure you do not have any studs on the wall to support your cupboard. You can use the rivet detector to check.
If you have a cabinet hung to a wall nearby then it is more likely to have studs. Therefore, you should mark them again for the convenience of the following parts of the installation. It is better when you mark both the top and bottom parts of the studs.
In case you have carefully examined the wall area and have not found any nails and no wall cabinets nearby, then apply the following technical methods to proceed with your project of mounting your cabinet.
The cabinet installation methods without studs
Most everyone’s advice when mounting cabinets without studs is to take advantage of existing cabinets, i.e., you should put new ones on old ones. However, you did not have any cabinets nearby. So now, you have 2 ways to accomplish your project: install the cabinet on the existing piece of painting or install it on the ceiling.
You will first need to use the rivet detector to find 2 studs further than your cabinet mounting position for this method. After you find the target, you proceed to mount a material bar on the two nails. Ensure that the sheet of material has been securely and securely installed so that the cabinet placed in it will not cause any unintended problems.
- Recommended for you is a 1 x 4 board, as it can withstand most cabinet weight. Besides, the affordable price is also a plus.
- If you’ve made sure that everything is going well, then move on to the next step. At this stage, you need to prepare a wooden plank if you mount the cabinet on the base cabinet. This plank will rest on top of the base cabinet to protect it from damage or scratches.
- Next, you proceed to cut wooden pieces for your upper cabinet. The wooden slats’ length will depend on the cabinet’s height, and 18 inches is the standard size in kitchen cabinets.
- Be prepared to add a 54-inch plywood panel if your cabinet does not have a base cabinet. That number is suitable so that your wardrobe is not located too high or too low.
- So you have prepared the necessary things. Now, you will get started on the installation. This is quite simple for those who have done riveting cabinets before. You simply need to drill the cabinet into the desired position on the prepared board.
- The compartment is finished; you remove the props to make the next cabinet or store for the next one.
- To make the cabinet more aesthetically pleasing, you can paint the mounting panel and the wall file together. Thanks to that, no one will detect it if seen from afar.
This way, it’s too simple for you to mount the cabinet without studs. However, many people do not practice this approach. But okay, we still have another way for you to choose.
2. Install the cabinet on the ceiling
This method has the disadvantage of being unusable for cabinets made of anything smaller than ¾ inch. Because most likely, it would not be able to withstand its gravity and fall. This not only damages the cabinet but is also very dangerous for family members. Therefore, you must determine it carefully before proceeding.
- To start, you use props long enough so that the cabinet is fastened to the ceiling position you are about to hang it from.
- Next, you screw to the wooden bar behind the cabinet at an angle of 30º from the ceiling frame, continue to install the screws along the rear rails, each 6 inches apart.
- Just fully screw in, and you’re done. Overall, it’s pretty quick and straightforward. The guarantee is only relative. This is more effective if there are studs on the wall. Therefore, you should still attach a board to 2 studs before hanging the cabinet on the ceiling.
- In case you cannot find a spot with studs to attach the material board or do not like the above 2 methods, breaking the wall for mounting nails is a reasonable choice. This will be a bit expensive and time-consuming, but it is a very safe and convenient method in the long run.
The methods above are relatively simple for you to do by yourself. Both ways have one thing in common: need 2 support studs to ensure safety. So, remember to follow the proper procedures and techniques to protect you and your loved one. Hopefully, these shares help you alleviate the hassle of installing a cabinet without studs. We wish you a successful application.